Thursday, January 30, 2014

The Great Gatsby


Do you think of Fitzgerald’s famous book as the “Great American Novel”? How about the latest film? I know, I’m a writer, so why am I talking about a movie?

I recently saw the latest incarnation of the Great Gatsby in Baz Luhrmann’s film, which has a very Moulin Rouge feel to it. Needless to say, I often find books better than the movies made about them, but I have to say I was more than pleasantly surprised at this latest rendition of an old classic. The music (see video) and acting alone would impress most audiences, writers or otherwise. So to my fellow book-lovers out there, see this flick! At the very least it will get you to see Fitzgerald’s work through a new lens…it certainly had my wife and I up late debating the finer points of both the film and the novel.

If you’ve seen it, what did you think of the latest Gatsby film? What are your thoughts on the book? Can film ever equal what we find in novels?

No comments:

Post a Comment